Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Tough Interview Questions #3: What are Your Weaknesses

And What are your Weaknesses??

This is the mirror question to the one asked in the previous column about your greatest strengths.

Whereas the answer to a question about your strengths can brand you as a blowhard, the answer to this one will be listened to carefully for what you perceive your deficiencies to be. 

The wrong answer is to answer directly, such as , “I don’t have much experience with _____________”. It is far better to disguise a strength as a weakness.

For example, when asked the question, pause, break eye contact with the interviewer, look as though you’re sincerely thinking about the question for a moment or two, as though it was the first time you ever heard this question.

Then answer, “Hmm. (pause) . . . I sometimes work too hard. When I receive an assignment, I think about the problem all the time. I tend to put in a lot of after hours time massaging the problem and working on the project. Sometimes, after a few months, I’ve noticed I can become a little worn and will make a mistake. What then happens, it is a signal that I need a brief break get back to work.”

Answering in this manner tells them that you work extremely hard.

Not a bad message to give an interviewer!


Jeff Altman 
The Big Game Hunter
www.TheBigGameHunter.us
JeffAltman@TheBigGameHunter.us

© 2007 all rights reserved.

No comments: