Friday, July 20, 2007

Tough Interview Questions #12: The Silent Treatment PLUS

You may not know or may not recall, that I am a practicing psychotherapist.

There is a little trick I learned from being a therapist that I brought into interviewing and then added a little twist to in order to learn more about the person I've met. Let;s see if you've ever met someone who does this.

The traditional interview is like interview ju-jitsu--You are asked a question. You respond. They ask another; you talk some more. On and on.

Imagine where at the end of your answer, you are greeted by silence and eyes staring at you. Most people I meet become extremely uncomfortable when that occurs.

Instead of stammering on and filling the space, calmly (and I mean calmly) ask, "Is there anything else you want me to speak to with my answer?

Now, the twist I sometimes add with the silence is to ask, "Is there more you would like to add to that?" I suggests that there should be more, even if there actually isn't. I want to see someone secure with their knowledge and in their own skin so, if you are asked that, calmly answer, ""Is there something that I didn't cover that you want me to address?

Presenting yourself as calm and being secure demonstrates mastery and knowledge. Do not scramble or being psychologically intimidated to offer more.

Jeff Altman 
The Big Game Hunter
www.TheBigGameHunter.us
JeffAltman@TheBigGameHunter.us


© 2007 all rights reserved.

No comments: