Saturday, April 05, 2008

Tough Interview Question #41: Give Me An Example of a Time Where You Failed.

The rest of the question is, "Were you disturbed by this? What actions did you take?"

I often think of questions like this coming in sales jobs--I failed to make quota for a quarter. Sometimes, it I asked in an operations job--I was given certain performance objectives and failed to meet them.

I think of the answer to this question as requiring an actor to really deliver the answer. The theme to it is the same no matter what the failure is you decide to reference. I'll use sales as an example.

"Frankly, I wasn't disturbed by it (pause) . . . I was angry with myself! Look, failing to meet targets has never happened to me before and has never happened since. Part of it involved not having sufficient time to ramp up . . . but that's an excuse, I needed to manage my tie and effort better and deliver what I was responsible for.

"And that's what I did. I came in $4 million below my $13 million quota and I was determined to make up what I missed and then some and made sure my boss knew. And that is what I did--$18.5 million the next quarter, $22 million the quarter after that and I haven;t looked back since."


Jeff Altman
The Big Game Hunter Concepts in Staffing thebiggamehunter@cisny.com © 2008 all rights reserved. Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter, is Managing Director with Concepts in Staffing, a New York search firm, He has successfully assisted many corporations identify management leaders and staff in many disciplines since 1971. He is a retired certified leader of the ManKind Project, a not for profit organization that assists men with life issues, and a practicing psychotherapist.

He is the author of “Get Yourself Hired NOW! The Big Game Hunter’s Guide to Head Hunting Your Next Job and Every Job After That” (in ebook and audio formats) and “Get Your Job Search Organized NOW!” (ebook) Both are available at www.getyourselfhiredNOW.com Register at the site and you will receive free copies of The International Job Board List and a Guide to Resume Writing. To receive a daily digest of positions emailed to you, search for openings that The Big Game Hunter is working on, to use Jeff’s free job lead search engine, Job Search Universe, to subscribe to Jeff’s free job hunting ezine, “Head Hunt Your Next Job, or his staffing ezine, “Natural Selection”, or to learn about his VIP program, go to www.jeffaltman.com.
Explore some of The Big Game Hunter's products in "The Universe" series
Job Search Universe: Search thousand of Job Boards and Corporate Job Sites for job leads at the same time
The Resume Universe: Information about Resumes and Cover Letters
The Consulting Universe: Search and Post Consulting Assignments and Consulting Jobs
Self-Employment Universe: Business Opportunities and Work-At-Home
The Diet Universe: Health & Wellness Information
Personal Finance Universe: Taking Care of Your Money better
Plus
Search4Candidates.com: Refined Searching for Resumes and Candidate Leads
Search4JobLeads.com: The site that recruiters use to find job leads
VIP Personal Search: Hire Your Own VIP Personal Search Agent
The Job Market Blog: Blogging and news about the job market since August 2001
4ITProfessionals: Search for jobs, resume services and post your resume—targeted on IT professionals
HeadHuntYourNextJob.com: 4 Search Products in one place
Indian Job Network: Network for Work in India

1 comment:

campbell said...

Hi

I read this post two times.

I like it so much, please try to keep posting.

Let me introduce other material that may be good for our community.

Source: Kroger interview questions

Best regards
Henry