Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tough Interview Question #25: If We Hire You, How Long Do You Expect to Be With US?

Although it is a stupid question, it sometimes gets asked because once in a while, someone naively answers something like, "Well, my wife is up for a transfer to Sioux City in his job and if that comes through we're moving," or "I'm trying to get pregnant and . . . "

Being specific here is deadly to your candidacy.

It is far better if your answer is generic and non-controversial.

"I would expect that I would be here for many years--as long as you believe I'm doing a great job and as long as the firm rewards me well with interesting work and opportunities for growth."

The phrase "rewards me well" is used very intentionally; it suggests money without saying it. Then the rest of your answer speaks about job satisfaction.

Jeff Altman 
The Big Game Hunter
www.TheBigGameHunter.us
JeffAltman@TheBigGameHunter.us



© 2007 all rights reserved.

No comments: