Saturday, November 24, 2007

Tough Interview Question #28: Why Were You Fired?

This question cuts to most people's core because it suggests that they failed in a previous job, even if they didn't.

Although there are countless ways to answer this question, I'm going to offer a few.

"Our firm experienced extreme setbacks and cut a large number of high performers from business areas that were judged to no longer be a part of the core business they wanted to pursue."

"My experience was not the right match for my previous employer's needs but it looks like they'd be a good fit in yours. In addition to marketing and advertising, would skills in promotion be valued here?"

"A new manager came in and brought in members of his old team. That was, of course, his right and afforded me time to think about what direction I wanted to take with my career; this opportunity certainly is in line with that (Be prepared to answer why).

"After thinking about why I left, I realize I should have done some things differently. That job was a learning experience and I think I'm wiser now. I'd like the chance to prove that to you."

"I made it through several reduction in workforce associated with outsourcing but this one got me."

Jeff Altman 
The Big Game Hunter
www.TheBigGameHunter.us
JeffAltman@TheBigGameHunter.us

© 2007 all rights reserved.

1 comment:

hton said...

Hi

Tks very much for post:

I like it and hope that you continue posting.

Let me show other source that may be good for community.

Source: Tough interview questions

Best rgs
David